Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My new Triathlon coaches Mike and Steve



I thought I would introduce my new Triathlon coaches Mike and Steve. Mike and Steve are both Kona Ironman finishers and ex amateur tri-athletes who will be helping me prepare for the race next June.
Mike



A bit of background on them - During the late 90s they left their jobs in investment banking to train 100% for the qualification of the prestigious Kona Ironman race. Leaving their wives and high paying jobs behind for a year (Mike also left his six children, and an intense mortgage and Steve left his beautiful foreign fiancĂ©) they made camp at Arizona’s Ironman course. Day in and day out they trained –ran, swam, biked leaving no room for injury, excuses or even a call to those that meant so much to them. Their mentality – get into that race – nothing else matters.

Steve

For 365 days they devoted their lives to the Arizona course, becoming one with the water, air and earth – engaging with no one but themselves and their training. As some thought they were selfish others saw their dedication as inspiring. As the records will show both Mike and Steve qualified for Kona that Spring at Arizona’s annual race. Their dedication and sacrifice paid off and October later of that same year they crossed the finish line in Kona together.

Mike and Steve believe in a different style of training of which I can appreciate. Their pep talks, though sometimes incomprehensible are inspiring and motivational. Their carb loading strategies are unproven and often dangerous - but simple and fun.

In addition, both are conveniently located at mile 3 and mile 12 of my long training run on Sundays. Their advice will play a crucial role in my crossing of the finishing line in 09. If anyone is interested in my training program I will add you to my mailing list. I update it as regularly as I can – basically when Mike and Steve can be understood and not located in government facilities.

Cheers,
Slugs

1 comment:

Ironman in Training said...

Pretty inspirational stuff.